windmills on a curved road, Autonomous Enterprise

How wind power can help businesses in their net-zero ambitions

windmills on a curved road, Autonomous Enterprise

With pressure mounting on businesses to reach ambitious net zero targets, Rebecca White, Commercial Director at Crossflow Energy, the renewable energy technology specialist, discusses how small wind can help them achieve their goals.

According to Veolia, at the start of 2022, only 29 percent of businesses had published a strategy for achieving net-zero targets. The pressure continues to grow on the other 71 percent to finalise their strategies and start the process towards net-zero. In order to get there, it is important that people understand the different practical approaches needed to best reduce organisational carbon footprints.

To me the answer is obvious, harnessing small wind can make the difference. Utilising small wind has been long ignored by businesses across most industries, but this can readily change. It is easier than it ever has been to adopt this technology.

The technology

Historically, turbines have not been fit for purpose in built up areas. Turbulence levels are high and veering winds have caused fatigue damage to turbines. On top of this, there have been questions around performance, reliability and planning concerns regarding noise, vibrations and ecology.

The good news is that the Crossflow Turbine addresses these concerns specifically, opening up a wealth of applications for many industries, including transport, utilities, commercial property and retail. The turbines are easily installed, as well as being low maintenance, reliable and exceptionally efficient. This makes them a great solution for new build and existing structures, commercial developments, road and rail infrastructure, and also a possibility in remote, ecologically sensitive locations. If there is an existing structure in place, a turbine can be deployed. There has never been a better time for business leaders to realise the potential that small wind holds.

The low rotational speed of these turbines minimise noise, and vibrations are kept to a minimum, relieving the concerns that have previously been a problem. The unique design also extends operational uptime, minimising the maintenance required. As an added benefit, they are also bird and bat friendly, addressing the planning concerns that come up on ecologically sensitive sites.

Taking the opportunity

Our technology makes small wind accessible to every industry. For example, in telecoms, the Eco-Tower has the potential to transform site infrastructure by co-locating the active equipment on the turbine tower, reducing energy costs and increasing CO2 savings.

Small wind has never been as real a possibility as it is today and implementing it can make a significant difference in achieving the net-zero aims of businesses across the nation.

With proper investment, small wind has the potential to be as large a part of the change as solar is at the moment. There is no reason why it can’t be as mainstream in the road to net-zero in the UK and further afield. This really is the next step in the journey towards carbon neutrality.

To find out more about Crossflow and its technology, visit